Twin your school loos
2.3 billion people in the world don’t have a toilet. Because of this, millions of children miss a huge amount of schooling through sickness – and fail their exams.
Your school can do something extraordinary for children living in desperate poverty. Why don’t you twin your toilets today?
Mira from Nepal missed a whole month of school when she fell sick with typhoid, because her family’s old latrine was contaminating their water supply. When Toilet Twinning’s local partner taught them how to build a proper toilet, the family invited all their neighbours to try it out:
Bridget in Uganda used to miss class in order to fetch drinking water from a stream. Now, clean water is piped to a tapstand at her school, thanks to Toilet Twinning. She’s learnt the importance of washing her hands – and she’s passed this info on to her parents:
Twinning your school loos couldn’t be easier…
Twinning toilets is a great way to have fun, expand your children’s horizons and explore key curriculum areas.
- We have loads of resources (right) to help your pupils engage.
- Ask us for a school pack containing all you need to hold an assembly or fundraising event.
- Get in touch to ask if we have a speaker in your area.
Dates for your diary
8 March: International Women’s Day
11 October: International Day of the Girl Child
19 November: World Toilet Day
- Junior school assembly PowerPoint (7-11 years)
- Fundraising ideas for schools
- We are Twinning poster
- Please help flush away poverty poster
- Chicken poo-bingo
- A short history of the toilet
- A film about Mira in Nepal
- A film about digging latrines in Guatemala
- A film introducing Toilet Twinning
- Animated Toilet Twinning song for karaoke
- Toilet Quiz PDF
- Toilet Quiz PowerPoint
Ask us for a pack
Eighteen pupils at the tiny Wearhead Primary in Co Durham raised £420 by making handicrafts, selling their toys and doing a sponsored walk.
Loreto Sixth Form College
Loreto Sixth Form College in Manchester had three year-long fundraising pushes, and twinned more than 150 loos.