Hold a Blue for the Loo Day!
2.3 billion people in the world don’t have a toilet. Because of this, millions of children miss a huge amount of schooling through sickness – and fail their exams.
Your school can do something extraordinary for children living in desperate poverty. Why don’t you twin your toilets today?
Fourteen-year-old Katy gave up Christmas presents in order to raise funds for Toilet Twinning. This summer, she travelled to Zambia to see how her giving has transformed life for a family living in poverty. Monica told Katy that she was often sick, before her family built a toilet, and she would feel ashamed as she squatted in the bush. ‘I could be sick for up to two weeks in a month, and sometimes, the diarrhoea was so bad that my family had to borrow an ox cart to take me to hospital. They had to sell some of our chickens to pay for medicines.’
Mira from Nepal missed a whole month of school when she fell sick with typhoid, because her family’s old latrine was contaminating their water supply. When Toilet Twinning’s local partner taught them how to build a proper toilet, the family invited all their neighbours to try it out:
Bridget in Uganda used to miss class in order to fetch drinking water from a stream. Now, clean water is piped to a tapstand at her school, thanks to Toilet Twinning. She’s learnt the importance of washing her hands – and she’s passed this info on to her parents:
Twinning your school loos couldn’t be easier…
Twinning toilets is a great way to have fun, expand your children’s horizons and explore key curriculum areas.
- We have loads of resources (right) to help your pupils engage.
- Ask us for a school pack containing all you need to hold an assembly or fundraising event.
- Get in touch to ask if we have a speaker in your area.
Dates for your diary
11 October: International Day of the Girl Child
19 November: World Toilet Day
Ask us for a pack
Soggy Bottoms bake sale
- Fay Ripley – Dan’s bolognese
- Kate Bottley – Bottley Spag Bog
- Monica Galetti – Spaghetti Bolognese
- Prue Leith CBE – Ultimate spaghetti bolognaise
- Spag bog social A4 poster
- Alana Spencer – The ultimate traybake
- Martha Collison – Cherry and marzipan pie
- Soggy bottoms bake sale A4 poster
- Fundraising booklet
- Build-a-bog game board
- Chicken poo-bingo
- Chicken poo-bingo rules
- Event poster